Monday, August 30, 2010

My New Job!

So if you are a friend of mine on Facebook, you already know the news...I have a new job and this is my new boss!

After 8 years as a pharmaceutical rep, and 11 years in the professional world, I have decided to become a stay at home mom for a while. I have been feeling the need for a change for several years now, but my job was so good, I kept thinking it was not time. I kept praying that God would show me what I was really supposed to be doing. The first part of July, after several talks with dear, wise family and friends, years of praying, and the support of my sweet husband, it became abundantly clear what I was supposed to do. So at my mid year review at the end of July I gave my two weeks notice. My manager could not have been more supportive and I feel so blessed that I had the opportunity to work for such a good man. I cried, but as I left the hotel in Stephenville that day, I felt as though a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. On August 10th, he came and checked me out. He took my computer and all of the boxes of promotional materials. I had already transferred my samples a couple of weeks before.

It is amazing how much space we have in the garage now that all of this stuff is gone!


One last picture of my company car.
Doug was a great boss and a dear friend. The best part of my job was the people I got to know. When Doug left and the fleet people drove away with my car, I cried like a baby for about 30 minutes, which I think really scared Sutton, but I think I just needed to grieve for a bit. I felt scared and a bit like a piece of me was gone. I had worked for so long that seemed to be who I was, but now I see that was just what I did.

I have been blessed to have a company car for our entire marriage so we had to find me something to drive. That evening we drove to Coleman and we found a car that I actually love more than any of my new company cars.
It is older, but I think it is really cute, and I love that I can haul so much stuff in the back!



I love being here with Quincy and watching her grow and change. I love the slower pace of my life and feeling like I can breathe for the first time in years. It is so nice not to have to get on the road every day- I think after driving so much for so many years, I had just gotten burned out. I love having time to bake and cook meals for Sutton. I love that Q and I are able to go with Sutton to some of his work meetings. For a long time people joked with Sutton that we were just a figment of his imagination since we were never able to be there with him. I don't have a cleaning lady anymore, but that is okay, because I am loving being the one to clean my own home. Life is really good...I don't know when I have ever felt so happy. I almost feel guilty because I am enjoying my new job so much...Probably because someone once told me that work is not spelled f-u-n. It is amazing the peace you can find when you seek and follow God's will. My prayer is that I will be able to pursue a part time job from here that will allow me this freedom, but also keep me connected professionally. In the mean time, I am just thoroughly enjoying this new chapter in my life!

Thanks to all of my sweet blog friends (you girls know who you are) for encouraging me. After a couple of weeks being at home full time, I am realizing I need to get on some type of schedule so I can be more productive. Q has a great schedule, but I need to do a better job of being more efficient during her nap times. I know I will definitely do Meal Plan Mondays and I am thinking Friday will be my cleaning day. I even found the perfect dayplanner for my new job- it is called the Mom Agenda and I am hoping it helps me to be more productive and organized. If you have any tips or suggestions, please share them in a comment. I would really appreciate it!

12 comments:

Atrain said...

Congrats again! I almost cried when I read your post b/c I feel the exact same way and I'm so happy for you and Q. We are so blessed to get to spend all our time with our precious girls! This job is much harder than my other one, but its so much more rewarding and I've never been so happy! And I agree--there is something so amazing about having time to grocery shop and prepare good meals for Ross. I even like laundry and keeping house! I'm not on a schedule really, but I try to get as many "chores" done as possible during Lucy's morning nap so I can goof off later. Then during her afternoon nap I prep for dinner so I can whip it up easily before Ross gets home. I must admit dinners right now are things I can put in the oven for hours unattended (baked chickens etc), or that I can make in 20 minutes or less;) Anyway, congrats again--I'm so happy for you!

~becky said...

Johnna - - it's the toughest job you will ever love.

The dynamics of my SAHM life has changed significantly this year. Now that both boys are in school, it's crazy. I miss them and can't wait to see them at 2:40 each afternoon.

I'm working on structure and planning. It helps me not waste my day. I've found that if I don't get up and take a shower first thing, I'm in big trouble. It doesn't mean I don't put new boxers and a t-shirt on, but at least I'm clean. I've started doing housework and laundry on Mondays and Fridays. Then light touch up every day. It helps. I still make time for playing. (Also known as scrapbooking.)

I am so happy for you. God is so good!

Joanne said...

You must have been burnt out if you are looking forward to house cleaning! ;-) Just kidding! Being a SAHM is not always easy, and there are days when you might miss being with other adults during the day. However, it is also something that you'll never regret! Miss Q will only be little once, and you are so lucky to get to soak it up! Many prayers for you as you begin this new phase!

Laura said...

Great post Johnna. I am behind you all the way! I know it sounds kind of goofy, but I love the feeling I get after I have cleaned my entire house. I feel a lot of pride and accomplishment. Plus, I think I am slightly addicted to the scent of my wet floor-Swiffer-pads. They smell so fresh! Love the new-to-you car. I can't wait to see it. Have a great week!

Cecilia said...

AWESOME post Johnna! Congratulations on staying at home and loving it. I could not agree more with everything you said and I feel the same way sometimes about staying at home. I love it so much that there is almost a little bit of guilt. You are doing a great job already - I can tell. What a happy post - again, I love it!

Jessica Detten said...

Love this post -- and that you are so happy! I agree with "Just B" -- if I don't take a shower first thing in the morning I'm in trouble! That's a big one. And I've finally learned this after 4 kids...the housework can wait...I try to take more time out of the day to play with my kids. If that means a load of clothes doesn't get folded, so be it. Love you!

Kacee said...

Johnna...I am so excited for you & this new season in your life. Like everyone else has said, it can be challenging....but it is soooo WORTH every minute. I found the Mom Agenda last year and have LOVED it. It has helped me stay a lot more organized. Jon makes fun of me for having a "paper" planner but I wouldn't trade it. Sometimes I feel guilty about not getting everything done around the house that I need to do, but I try to take as many moments as possible and play with my kids. A friend once told me "these are precious years that you will never be able to get back, enjoy every minute". Whenever I get frustrated about my lack of structure or not getting the house cleaned, I just remind myself that the whole reason I am a SAHM is to spend time with these beautiful gifts God has given me. Loved your post. So happy for you & Miss Q!

Kendi said...

I haven't been on your blog in a while, but had to comment on this post. Congrats on being a stay at home mom! It's the best job and the most important one you'll ever have! They grow up too fast for you to miss out.

Annette Martin said...

I have a jeep just like yours... I have loved it! Did you see the email that says I am coming to do a crop in San Angelo next Friday... maybe I can come by and meet Q!

Rody and Wendy Chesser said...

Whoo hoo!! Being totally selfish I am LOVING having you home. You are an incredible source of encouragement to me as your new excitement uplifts me and encourages me to try new recipes and fun stuff like that. Plus we get to hang out more which I am so looking forward to seeing that baby girl more. Know you have sitters here for date night when you need them...or for a trip to the grocery store by yourself (oh the little joys in life). God will bless your decision and make you fruitful as you do what He designed you to do!

Monica Minzenmayer said...

So excited for your new job! I enjoyed your post and all the comments. I feel the same way. I've been home with the kids over three years now and love it more than ever! I missed the professional world for about the first 6 months but now I realize that it will always be there if I need it. Until then I'm fine with generic food and hand-me-down clothes if I can stay home with my kids. Mine are 2 & 3 already,and will be in school before I know it. So glad I don't have to miss all the precious and fun moments until then. I'm so, so happy for your family!

Sarah said...

Your new boss is awfully cute! Remember it takes awhile to get in a good groove...and as soon as you do, your baby will be growing and changing, and you will have to establish a new routine. This kind of work, being at home with your new boss, is spelled F-U-N most the time! (Except the toilet cleaning times!)