Friday, June 12, 2009

Happy Place Friday- Part 2

We are headed east this week starting in Hico, Texas at the Wiseman House. I always joke that I gained 5 pounds when they added Hico to my territory, but there might be some truth to it...It is a long drive out there and I have gotten into the habit of rewarding myself at the end of the day with a quick stop and some amazing chocolate. They are known for their "Wild Woman" truffle, but my favorite is the the "Snookie" which is decadent with a cup of coffee. One of my doctors here in San Angelo told me about it initially and I fell in love with the place the first time I stopped there. My territory has changed a little, so I don't go as often as I used to which is probably a good thing for my waistline. Next time you are in Hico, stop by. The girls are very friendly and there are always samples. While you are in Hico you should check out all of the cute shops downtown and definitely have some pie at the Koffee Kup which is across the street from the Wiseman House. If you are in need of medical care while you are there, go see Dr. Dayton who is absolutely one of the nicest people I have ever met. He has been in practice over 50 years and he is still going strong! Hico is a really neat little town with the nicest people and a lot of history...It is a throwback in time but is still very modern which you will see while shopping.

The other place I love to stop when I am out east is Doc's Soda Shop at the Dr. Pepper Plant in Dublin. They make good sandwiches and their cherry limes are the best I have had in a long time. Probably the best thing there is their special Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar...The other Dr. Peppers just don't compare. I always try to pick up a six pack to bring back because everyone I have shared it with loves it and I love to have it on hand for company as a special treat. The people are very friendly and the soda shop is always cool on a hot summer day. I hope one day I will have enough time to stay a while for the tour of the bottling plant.

I am thinking that today's happy places would make for a very fun, quick, affordable roadtrip this summer if you just wanted to get away for a few days. You could visit Dublin and Hico and stay at the Hampton Inn in Stephenville (my favorite). Have dinner at Hard Eight Bar B Que or Montana's and just spend a couple of days exploring this really neat area. A couple of other fun things to do might be to visit Veldhuizen Farm, a place that is supposed to have great cheese, pick your own fruit at Worthington Orchards in Proctor, and have a wine tour and tasting at Brennan Vineyards in Comanche. Unfortunately, I have not been able to visit these places because I am always working when I am out that way, but if you do visit them, let me know what you think. Have a good Friday and enjoy the weekend! We are throwing a big fiesta wedding shower this weekend so I will not be blogging but should be back next week with pictures.

5 comments:

The Mitchells said...

there is NOTHING better than a Dublin Dr. Pepper

nobody said...

I love reading your blogs about the places you vist... you have to tell me how to change my wallpaper/background! I am very new to this BLogger thing... it's not like myspace...lol

~B said...

Have you ever been to "Yumm's the Word" in Comanche? If you go to Dublin, I would guess that you are near Comanche at some point. It is in the town square. I LOVE that place. I know the lady that did the decorating inside. They took an old bank building and put the restaurant there.

They used to just cater. I even have one of their cookbooks. I think they only serve lunch on the weekdays. You might call to see what their operating schedule is.

325-356-3031 I don't think they have a website.

We had Thanksgiving lunch there a few years ago. It. Was. Fabulous!

J. Page said...

Becky- I have driven by it many many times b/c it is right on the way to the new clinic there, but I have never had a chance to stop. It has been closed the last few times I have been through there, so I was actually afraid that it was closed for good... Thanks for the tip- I will definitely make a point to go there one of these days!

~B said...

It would be a shame if they are closed. GREAT food. You need one of their cookbooks - - the way you like to entertain. You'd love some of their dishes. I'll bet you can get one in one of the shops over there. If not, let me know. I have a connection! ;)

Our Thanksgiving lunch there one year was just fabulous.