Sunday, January 11, 2009

My 2009 To Be List

I blogged last week about Ali Edwards one word concept. Well, I have officially decided that my word for 2009 is be. Click here for the entire list from Ali's blog comments. I had been thinking about this for a while and I got my confirmation when I received our church newsletter. Our pastor, Bill Proctor, wrote about making a to be list for 2009 rather than a to do list. He read about this idea in the January issue of Guideposts magazine. Bill says it can be argued that God has not called us "to do" as much as God has called us "to be". Bill also says that maybe if we had more to be lists then the things we want to do would be accomplished more easily. Bill challenged us not to do more for the Lord this year but rather try to "be" more like the people God has called us to be in Christ Jesus this year. So my word is be and here is my 2009 "to be" list:
-Be present and in the moment
-Be still
-Be at peace
-Be loving
-Be kind
-Be attentive
-Be healthy
-Be centered
-Be merciful
-Be happy
-Be authentic
-Be in touch
-Be patient
-Be forgiving
-Be disciplined
-Be awake
-Be bold
-Be creative
I am sure I will add others to the list as the year progresses, but I think this is a good start. Ali suggests having a symbol that you wear or keep in your work space that will be a daily reminder of your focus word. I purchased this charm the other day for my Pandora bracelet to serve as my reminder. It is a cute little queen bee. My friend, Kacee, blogged about her word the other day...Click here to read her great post. So do you have a word for 2009? If so, please leave a comment- I would love to read what it is.

1 comment:

Jessica Detten said...

Great, thoughtful post -- and I love the play on words...be and the bee charm!! I'll have to think about this. Right now it seems I just need some peace in my life!